Greetings from Guy
By Guy Sims
While the health care debate is taking up all of the oxygen in Washington, the next item on the agenda for the Republican congress is tax reform.
The plan is to have the framework hammered out by September and have a bill passed and signed by year-end. The house has been working on this issue since the first of the year and parts of the plan are beginning to leak out.
Part of the house plan calls for the elimination of the business interest deduction. This proposed change has the potential to have a major impact on the community banking industry and the customers we serve. I hesitate to try to wade into the weeds on this issue because of the complexities – many of which I’m not qualified to comment on.
I do know the goal is for the tax plan to be revenue neutral, which tells me there will be winners and losers. This issue deserves our attention and needs to be closely monitored.
Hope everyone had a happy and safe 4th of July.
Take note the OBA 2017-18 Emerging Leaders Academy is currently accepting applications.
We’re looking for the best and brightest bankers who seek to sharpen their leadership skills. The Academy will help you reach new heights with powerful speakers offering information leaders need for effectively maneuvering in today’s business climate. Each session helps participants become true leaders by understanding those around you through non-traditional methods.
Additionally, in 2018, the OBA Board of Directors will add a voting seat for an Emerging Leader. Academy graduates will be given preference for this seat.
The OBA extends an invitation to any employee of a bank that is a member of the OBA to apply. A panel of bankers will review the applicants and choose those accepted into the Academy. Participants must attend all sessions to successfully graduate from the program.
There are six sessions to the Academy: Sept. 29, Oct. 13, Nov. 9, Jan. 26, Feb. 20, March 16.
The OBA’s Annual Washington Visit has been scheduled for Oct. 1-3 and the hotel will be the Mayflower. Registration information should be hitting your bank shortly, but you can also download the registration and information form, and get more info on the hotel, by clicking here.
If you have any questions, contact Adrian Beverage at the OBA.
Summer is officially here for the OBA education department, and while that means things might slow down a bit, it sure doesn’t mean they stop! Take a peek at the upcoming events:
- Loan Structure, Documentation and Compliance, July 10, webinar — Receive a thorough overview of commercial lending requirements from a loan structure, documentation and compliance perspective.
- Dealing with Subpoenas, Summonses, Garnishments, Tax Levies, Etc., July 11, webinar — Learn how to deal effectively with these documents and the parties who serve them upon you.
- New 2018 Residential Loan Application, July 11, webinar — This webinar will review the new forms, the changes and the way it impacts underwriting.
- Annual Compliance Training for Commercial Lenders, July 12, webinar — Attend this webinar to understand the application process and applicable regulations.
- Opening Minor Accounts, July 12, webinar — Learn how to answer your adult accountholders’ questions on how to set up accounts for grandchildren, for college and other reasons to set up minor accounts.
- Corporate Account Takeover – Latest Cases, July 13, webinar — We will review CATO cases, important considerations and the outcome for the financial institution.
- Vital Check and Deposit Issues – A Deeper Dive, July 14, webinar — In this webinar, we will continue to delve into common questions and answers that your frontline has about checks and deposits.
- Best- Ever Compliance Checklists for Consumer Loans, July 18, webinar — Colorful easy-to-use checklists lead lenders and processors through the various compliance requirements.
- Introduction to Compliance Risk Assessments, July 19, webinar — You will be provided the knowledge to conduct a risk assessment for all key compliance areas at your bank following this program.
- SSN, EINs and ITINs: Understanding our Job as a Withholding Agent, July 19, webinar — In this program we will review taxpayer identification numbers and W-9 and W-8BEN requirements.
- ACH Origination, July 21, webinar — What are your responsibilities and warranties?
- Internal Audit Seminar, Aug. 16, Oklahoma City — This seminar will emphasize the importance of a strong risk assessment in any bank and the role this risk assessment, along with a sound and effective audit plan can have in helping a bank avoid fraud.
- 2017 OBA Compliance School, Aug. 21-25, Oklahoma City — This school is designed for those directly involved in the day-to-day compliance function as well as those who are involved in specific areas. Compliance officers, auditors, bank counsel, loan officers, cashiers and bank trainers will benefit from the courses.