In This Issue…
- From Adrian’s desk …
- FDIC releases cybersecurity videos for banks
- Oklahoma Bankers Hall of Fame fifth class set for induction – only few seats left!
- OBA education corner …
From Adrian’s desk …
By Adrian Beverage
OBA President & CEO
Just some random tidbits that might be of interest to our bankers this week!
• • •
I’m excited about the upcoming Oklahoma Bankers Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Thursday! As usual, we’re bringing in an impressive group who have left an indelible mark on the banking industry in the state. You can read more about the inductees on the front page of the OBA website, and also get full bios from them in my upcoming column in the December issue of the Oklahoma Banker newspaper.
We still have seats available … but only for an incredibly limited time – check out the story below for more info!
• • •
I saw where Federal Reserve Vice Chairman for Supervision Michael Barr spoke at a conference in Germany last week, and mentioned it may be necessary to reexamine requirements regarding liquidity.
Barr was at an economic conference when he noted following the 2008 financial crisis, policymakers required large institutions to maintain buffers of high-quality liquid assets that could be converted to reserves in times of stress. The recent bank failures, however, “highlighted the fact that, in practice, there can be operational impediments to a bank’s ability to monetize its liquidity buffers in large volumes and in a rapid time frame in acute stress,” he said.
Interesting comments, to be sure.
• • •
Contrary to any rumors out there, I haven’t entered the transfer portal. It seems I’m in the minority as more than 500 college football players did on Monday. I hope some of the better ones land in Nebraska!
FDIC releases cybersecurity videos for banks
The FDIC last week announced it has added three videos to its online Technical Assistance Video Program, which is designed to provide information to bank directors, officers and employees on areas of supervisory focus and regulatory changes.
The videos are “Cybersecurity Awareness for Bank Directors,” “Cybersecurity Awareness for Bankers” and “Information Technology,” the latter designed for bank directors and trustees.
Oklahoma Bankers Hall of Fame fifth class set for induction – only few seats left!
The OBA is proud to announce the group of inductees for the Oklahoma Bankers Hall of Fame, with the ceremony set for Thursday in Oklahoma City.
The Oklahoma Bankers Hall of Fame Luncheon & Induction Ceremony honoring Nevyle Cable, Jim Hamby, the late Harry Leonard and Ted McGuire will recognize the fifth group to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, as voted on by a panel of their banking industry peers.
The ceremony will be held over lunch at 11:30 a.m. on Dec. 7 at the Oklahoma History Center, which is located at 800 Nazih Zuhdi Dr., in Oklahoma City, and there are still seats available, although the number is beginning to dwindle and reservations must be made by the end of the workday today!
If you are interested in attending the event, please RSVP by Nov. 30 to the OBA’s Joan Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) at 405-424-5252. The cost for an individual seat is $75 and $700 for a table of 10.
Additionally, contact Thi Pham (405-424-5252, email@example.com) for sponsorship opportunities.
OBA education corner …
We haven’t had any injuries here in the education department, which obviously is a good thing because, if we did, we’re afraid the college football playoff committee would decide to take away our ability to continue giving education opportunities to bankers! OK, that’s a strained metaphor, but we think you get the point! While mulling over our obsession with college football, take the time to check out our upcoming continuing education opportunities!
- IRS Information Reporting: Rules and Forms, Dec. 13, webinar — It’s that time of the year again – when thoughts turn to holiday parties and gift-giving … no, really, IRS reporting issues and the myriad rules to follow and forms to complete!
- 2023 Call Report Recap and Look Into 2024, Dec. 13, webinar — This 90-minute webinar will include a discussion of regulatory and accounting changes impacting the fourth quarter of 2023 and those proposed to impact 2024.
- Navigating the FedNow Rules and Regulatory Compliance Environment, Dec. 13, webinar — Learn how to navigate the intricate web of the FedNow Service Operating Rules, Circular 8, and Regulations J, E, and more, to gain an understanding of the rules and regulations that apply to FedNow instant payments.
- Developing an Effective Remote Deposit Capture and Mobile Deposit Capture Program, Dec. 18, webinar — Join us as we outline the detailed information you should consider adding to your documents and processes to support a thorough due diligence, risk assessment and annual oversight of your customers.
- 2023 Call Report Recap and Look Into 2024, Dec. 19, webinar — As new regulatory matters arise, they will be added to the agenda in order to provide participants with the most current training applicable for the Dec. 31, 2023, reporting period with a look at what to expect for March 31, 2024.
- 2024 OBA Intermediate School, session I-Feb. 5-9, session II-June 3-7, Oklahoma City — Presented over two sessions, the school is designed to prepare students to serve effectively and profitably the needs and desires of their banks and the banking public. A major objective of the program is to instill an appreciation for and an understanding of the operations and interrelationships of departments within a bank.