In This Issue…
- Ag lender survey: Interest rate volatility is top concern in 2023
- OBA Golf Tournament rescheduled for Nov. 14, registration back open!
- OBA holiday signs ready for purchase; welcome new strategic members
- OBA education corner …
Ag lender survey: Interest rate volatility is top concern in 2023
The top concern facing agricultural lenders going into 2023 is interest rate volatility, according to the 2022 Agricultural Lender Survey report produced jointly by the American Bankers Association and the Federal Agricultural Mortgage Corporation (Farmer Mac).
Nearly half of respondents (49%) ranked interest rate volatility among their top two concerns, up 35.5 percentage points from last year. While rising rates have helped bolster bank net interest margins, a combination of higher funding costs, fears of weakening loan demand and strong competition is expected to cut into rising yields, according to the report released earlier this week at the ABA Agricultural Bankers Conference in Omaha, Nebraska.
“Given the Fed’s clear signal that it expects to continue raising rates until inflation is contained, it’s fitting that ag lenders cited interest rate volatility as their number one concern,” said ABA Chief Economist Sayee Srinivasan. “Lenders expect that both short-term and long-term rates will continue to rise in the coming year, reflecting market expectations that rates could rise by another 100-150 basis points by the end of the first quarter of 2023.”
Click here for the full survey report.
OBA Golf Tournament rescheduled for Nov. 14, registration re-opened!
Due to adverse weather conditions, the OBA Oktoberfest Golf Tournament (previously set for Monday, Oct. 24) has been rescheduled for Monday, Nov. 14.
Show off your golfing skills or simply join your banking peers as a social registrant at the 2022 OBA “Oktoberfest” Golf Tournament on Nov. 14 at River Oaks Golf Club in Edmond.
The tournament fee is $150 and the registration deadline is Nov. 10. The tournament will begin with registration and lunch. Immediately following the tournament, we will hold an awards ceremony. Sign up now to reserve your spot. We hope to see you on the course!
Not golfing? Join your banking peers as a social attendee for lunch, refreshments and fellowship on the patio. Social attendee registration fee is $50.
Click here to access the registration form. If you are interested in sponsorship opportunities, contact Thi Pham.
9 a.m. — Registration Open & Continental Breakfast
10 a.m. — Shotgun Start (lunch on the course)
Immediately Following Golf — Awards
OBA holiday signs ready for purchase; welcome new strategic members
Customers need to know Oklahoma banks are closed in observance of several holidays each year.
The OBA makes this easy by offering member banks a set of eleven decorative 6 x 9 signs. Static-cling decal signs clearly notify customers of your holiday closings. Each decal has a holiday design with the bank closing dates as observed by the Federal Reserve. Additional blank decals are provided to write on for emergency closings. A Juneteenth holiday sign is included and English edition or English/Spanish edition are available.
The OBA would also like to extend a welcome to a new strategic member:
Maxwell Supply Company is an industry-leading distributor. Their team will work hard to earn your trust and establish long term and sustainable success. They have stores located in Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Lawton. Delivery is available throughout the entire state of Oklahoma, parts of Texas and Arkansas.
Contact: Sandy Cranford: firstname.lastname@example.org
Charlie Thomason, president: email@example.com
3300 West Reno Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73107
Phone: (405) 943-3388 800-365-3388
Strategic Resource Management (SRM)
SRM (Strategic Resource Management) has helped more than a 1,000 financial institutions add more than $5 billion of value to their bottom line in areas such as payments, digital transformation, core processing, artificial intelligence, digital assets and overall operating efficiency. SRM – now in its 30th year in business – has lowered costs, created revenue opportunities, increased productivity and provided a competitive edge for clients in an environment of constant and accelerating change. Visit www.srmcorp.com for more information and follow them on LinkedIn and Twitter for timely and relevant insights.
Contact: Richard B. Whiddon
5100 Poplar Ave #2500
Memphis, TN 38137
Phone: (901) 692-4860
OBA education corner …
It’s just odd to think it’s already November and we’re mere weeks away from Thanksgiving and then, gulp … CHRISTMAS MUSIC. While preparing for the upcoming jangly earworms, think about about upcoming continuing education opportunities available through the OBA:
- Most Common TRID Issues, Nov. 16, webinar — Our goal is to ensure you understand where the TRID rules can create uncertainty and risk, and insulate your institution as much as possible from noncompliance.
- Lending 101, Nov. 16, webinar — In this unique webinar, Anne Lolley will provide an overview of federal compliance laws. This is a great training tool for newer lenders and processors, and the webinar will help even experienced bankers understand the source of the various requirements.
- Commercial and Industrial Lending in Today’s Competitive Market, Nov. 21, webinar — This webinar will cover Commercial and Industrial (C&I) loan products including working capital lines of credit, ABL facilities and equipment financing (loans/leases) and their typical structure.
- Employment Records and How to Keep Them, Nov. 22, webinar — Bob Gregg, attorney at law, discusses the types of issues that should and shouldn’t be documented and offers guidance for writing your iron clad documentation if ever challenged by the employee, courts or regulators.
- Basic Cash Flow Seminar, Dec. 1-Tulsa; Dec. 2-Oklahoma City — This seminar will explore various cash flow techniques as they apply to a wide-range of business scenarios including both business and personal (business owner) applications.
Finally, just a quick note to mark your calendars as the OBA Convention dates and location have already been set for next year! The 2023 OBA Convention will be held May 8-10 at the Embassy Suites in Norman. More details will be available in the coming months, but go ahead and get notes on your calendar today!