In This Issue…
- OBA partners with ABA, CUNA, other state bankers associations to oppose credit card routing mandates
- Oklahoma delegation meetings set for 2022 Washington Visit
- OBA annual golf tournament scheduled for October
- Mullin/Shannon Senate debate available to view
- Views & Vistas Calendar, updated reference books available for order
- OBA education corner …
OBA partners with ABA, CUNA, other state bankers associations to oppose credit card routing mandates
In a letter sent to the entire House and Senate, a coalition made up of 51 state bankers associations and state credit union associations and leagues from across the country joined the American Bankers Association and Credit Union National Association in strongly urging lawmakers to oppose Sen. Roger Marshall’s and Sen. Dick Durbin’s deeply flawed “Credit Card Competition Act of 2022.”
In the letter, the associations say the misguided Marshall-Durbin proposal will lead to “fewer options for consumers, greater threats to consumer data and privacy, weakened community banks and credit unions and the disappearance of card rewards programs that families of all income levels use to stretch their budgets,” while also “transferring wealth…to a handful of high-volume, highly profitable large merchants.”
The OBA has also joined with the ABA to get our bankers involved at the grassroots level against this legislation. Click here to download a form to sign your name to a letter opposing the Marshall-Durbin proposal.
Oklahoma delegation meetings set for 2022 Washington Visit
The OBA’s Annual Washington Visit has been scheduled for Sept. 26-28 and the hotel will be the Waldorf Astoria.
Besides all the usual – and incredibly useful – meetings with the movers and shakers on Capitol Hill, we will host an “OBA Sports Night” at Walters Sports Bar on the Monday night of the visit, allowing everyone to decompress, enjoy a casual evening and compare notes.
During the final leg of the Visit, the Oklahoma delegation will come to meet with our group. The current schedule is listed below:
|Rep. Lucas||1 p.m.|
|Rep. Hern||1:30 p.m.|
|Sen. Inhofe||2:15 p.m.|
|Rep. Bice||3 p.m.|
|Sen. Lankford||3:30 p.m.|
|Rep. Mullin||4 p.m.|
|Rep. Cole||4:30 p.m.|
Registration information should be hitting your bank shortly, but you can also download the registration and information form, and get more info on the hotel, by clicking here (.pdf). Click here to access the hotel reservation link.
OBA annual golf tournament scheduled for October
Grab your lederhosen and bier steins and get ready for the OBA’s annual golf tournament – this year being the OBA Oktoberfest Golf Tournament – on Oct. 24.
The tournament will be held at noon at the River Oaks Golf Club in Edmond, and will include a lunch.
Look for more information and registration links in the coming weeks!
Mullin/Shannon Senate debate available to view
As a courtesy to those bankers who may not have had a chance to watch last week’s debate between Markwayne Mulline and T.W. Shannon for the Republican runoff for a U.S. Senate seat, we wanted to make sure and embed it below, via KOTV News.
Views & Vistas Calendar, updated reference books available for order
The special pricing deadline for the Oklahoma Views & Vistas Calendar (.pdf) has been extended to Aug. 30. Get yours ordered today to take advantage of the $0.99 per calendar price!
Our OBASCO arm also has updated reference books available: Oklahoma State Banking Code (.pdf), Oklahoma Deskbook on Trusts & Estates (.pdf) and Uniform Consumer Credit Code (.pdf). These have all been updated for 2022!
OBA education corner …
Only three weeks away from actual real college football games on TV! Of course, the first weekend’s slate of games is light, and is highlighted by a titanic clash in Ireland, of all places, between Nebraska and Northwestern, two squads who combined for a 6-18 record in 2021.
Still, it’s at least a pigskin-flavored substance. Plus, Nebraska has one of the better mascots in the country! Behold! Lil’ Red in all his glory!
@collegegameday Lil’ Red has moves 🔥 #cfb #football #nebraska #huskers #lilred ♬ original sound – College GameDay
So, in honor of our favorite former OBA president and CEO, we say “Go Big Red!” as college football inches a bit closer. While you wait, though, take advantage of our education programs – it’ll help pass the time!
- Residential Construction Lending, Aug. 15, webinar — Many problems can occur during construction that can leave lenders highly exposed unless they are underwritten properly.
- Legal Liabilities When Check Fraud Occurs, Aug. 16, webinar — This webinar provides attendees with an overview of the laws that control loss allocation when check fraud occurs.
- Regulation DD Update, Aug. 16, webinar — Learn what the key issues are during an examination and what can go wrong.
- MSBs, MRBs, PEPs and Other High-Risk Customers, Aug. 17, webinar — We will cover the high-risk customers and services listed in the BSA exam manual and begin to see their impact on our AML program. We will look at what makes a customer or service high risk.
- Bi-Monthly Compliance Briefing – August 2022, Aug. 17, webinar — A bi-monthly update to help you keep up with changes and deadlines in the compliance area in a quick and easy format.
- 10 Must-Have Techniques for Engaging Training, Aug. 18, webinar — Do you have what it takes to deliver memorable and meaningful training? Are you and your PowerPoint presentations in harmony or do you feel like you’re in a constant battle for audience attention? Learn how to spark learner engagement from a design and delivery expert ready to share her secrets with you!
- Advanced Financial Statement Analysis, Aug. 22, webinar — Attend this proactive seminar and learn a comprehensive approach to financial statement analysis.
- Five Best Practices for Reg E Disputes, Aug. 24, webinar — What will regulators find when they examine your financial institution for Reg E compliance with error resolution procedures? Do your employees know what is required?
- Unclaimed Property Compliance for Financial Institutions, Aug. 24, webinar — This webinar will focus on the complex state unclaimed property reporting requirements and the unique challenges facing financial institutions.
- FORVIS/OBA Banking Symposium, Aug. 30, Oklahoma City — This conference is a must attend for all directors, CEOs, CFOs and others in the banking industry who are impacted by economic, accounting, credit, legal, taxation, regulatory or other issues impacting the banking industry.
- Supervisor Bootcamp, Sept. 7, Tulsa — This session will teach how to manage crucial conversations and challenging situations. Attendees will practice a coaching approach that encourages your staff to be engaged and accountable.
- The Power of Emotional Intelligence in Leading a Team, Sept. 9, Oklahoma City — Recent studies have shown emotional intelligence to be a key factor in leadership effectiveness, specifically, in a rapidly changing business environment. Emotionally intelligent managers create psychologically safe workplaces that lead to improved employee job satisfaction, retention, creativity, performance, and well-being.
- 2022 OBA Basic Banking School, Sept. 12-15, Oklahoma City — This school is designed to introduce students to basic banking concepts as they relate to the overall functioning of a bank
- 2022 Credit Analysis Basics, Sept. 22-Tulsa; Sept. 23-Oklahoma City — Attend this proactive seminar and learn how banks make lending decisions based on the five Cs of credit- capacity, capital, collateral, conditions and character.
- 2022 OBA Consumer Lending School, Oct. 3-7, Oklahoma City — This program exposes students to major issues consumer credit managers face. It provides a framework for examining a bank’s consumer credit programs, policies and procedures
Also, take note of The Conference for Bank & Credit Union Trainers, which will be held in Dallas on Sept. 26-28. This annual educational event brings together hundreds of training professionals, representing financial institutions from across the country and beyond. Click here for more information!
Finally, just a quick note to mark your calendars as the OBA Convention dates and location have already been set for next year! The 2023 OBA Convention will be held May 8-10 at the Embassy Suites in Norman. More details will be available in the coming months, but go ahead and get notes on your calendar today!