- This event has passed.
Loan Participations for Community Banks: Risks & Rewards
May 14, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm CDT
This program covers the risks and rewards of loan participations to both the lead bank and the purchasing bank. Attendees will gain a thorough understanding of Participation Agreements.
A participant’s checklist for a well-drafted Participation Agreement will be reviewed, and administration of the participated loan will be discussed.
What You Will Learn
- Advantages of a participation to the lead bank and participant bank
- Risks to the participant
- Lack of information
- Lack of involvement in negotiations
- Dependency upon lead
- Financial instability/insolvency of lead
- Set-off by borrower
- Failure to perfect
- Conflicts of interest
- Due diligence by the participant and access to information
- Disclosure of participation to borrower
- Concentrations and other regulatory aspects of participations
- Loan agreement provisions related to participations
- Duties owed by lead to participant
- Rights to loan collateral and guaranties
- Loan administration issues
- Loan payments and other functions
- Consent to amendments
- Restrictions on transfer
- Loan purchase options
- Reimbursement and indemnification obligations
- Set-off by participant
- Understanding the participation agreement
- The participant’s checklist
- The participation in workout
Who Should Attend?
CRE lenders, commercial lenders; credit analysts, loan review specialists, special assets officers, lending managers and credit officers. Support personnel involved in the administration of loan participations are also encouraged to attend.