In This Issue…
- New OBA president/CEO Adrian Beverage featured in NonDoc Q&A
- Employment report shows 266,000 jobs added in April
- OBA education corner …
New OBA president/CEO Adrian Beverage featured in NonDoc Q&A
OBA president and CEO Adrian Beverage was featured in the online newsmagazine NonDoc’s Q&A piece today.
In the Q&A, Beverage covers topics from banking in Oklahoma, family and parenting, to his love of the University of Nebraska football program. He also shares his thoughts on his new position, banking in the COVID pandemic and much more.
Click here to read the full Q&A.
Employment report shows 266,000 jobs added in April
The Bureau of Labor Statistics released an employment report for the month of April. Total non-farm payroll employment rose by 266,000, and the unemployment rate rose to 6.1 percent, with unemployed persons at 9.8 million.
The leisure and hospitality industry saw the greatest employment growth with an increase of 331,000, as pandemic-related restrictions eased in some parts of the country, with more than half of the increase in food and beverage service locations. Despite this growth, employment in the leisure and hospitality is still down by 2.8 million since February 2020.
The employment-population ratio did not change much in April at 57.9 percent, but is up 9.5 percentage point since December 2020, and down 3.2 percentage points since February 2020.
Click here to read the full BLS release.
OBA education corner …
If you need some light reading for this gloomy Tuesday, check out the new OBA education events below.
NOTE: Effective March 16, 2020, and until further notice, TTS (our webinar provider) has extended the OnDemand access period for all ‘Live Plus Five (Days)’ registrants to 60 days (versus five business days). Also, they are waiving the $75 per location fee for additional locations.
- Handling Deposit Accounts and Checks at Death, webinar, May 18 — During this program, we will look at the checks and all the questions you get asked: insurance checks, treasury checks and regular checks, what are you supposed to do and what can you do to help the account holder and his or her family, and what if there will be no official estate account?
- Event Identifying and Documenting CRA Community Development Activities, webinar, May 19 — This program provides the information needed to assure proper credit is given for CD activities thereby assuring a higher rating and limiting the additional burden of a lower rating.
- Back to Basics: the CARD Act, webinar, May 21 — Join Regulatory Compliance Counsel Michael Christians for this informative 90-minute session covering requirements.
- Electronic Returned Items: Meeting Error Resolution Requirements, webinar, May 25 — In this session we will review the specific error resolution requirements of Reg E, discuss procedural best practices and provide tips on documenting your investigation.
- Deposit Regulations: The Basics, webinar, May 26 — During the webinar, each regulation will be discussed spotlighting the front line issues and how to handle them. This webinar will help your staff determine if we are in a regulation and if so to determine the course of action.
- Introduction to ACH: The Basics, webinar, May 27 — This session is designed for those that are new to operations and those that want to confirm they really understand ACH.
- Attacking the Human Element, webinar, May 27 — This discussion will highlight the advancements in cyber-crime and social engineering that are targeting our people resources. Best practices will be discussed for processes necessary to improve the weakest links in our institutions.